Wednesday, February 29, 2012

Mexico recap

Back in January, two of my girlfriends and I went to the Yucatan Peninsula (I'll have you know that it's driving me a little crazy not to put the accent over the a in Yucatan) for a quick vacation. My BFF and I bought this Groupon-like thing back in June 2010 while I was still in Ireland and we decided to plan it for after my graduation... mostly because I was convinced that I wouldn't be back in school that soon. Lo and behold I was so I missed a full week (read: 2 days) of nutrition but it was okay.

ANYWHO. Back to the good stuff. I had never been to the east coast of Mexico partly by choice and partly by chance.  To me most of the east coast of Mexico is extremely touristy and therefore undesirable for my own travel preferences. I don't mean to sound snobby or anything but I'd just rather experience the country that I'm in with the locals and not a bunch of people who have (probably) have no idea what they're doing or talking about. Also, what do tourists know about where to eat that's good besides from a travel book? I've said it before and I'll say it again, I think the best way to experience a culture is through their food! So of course most of my photos are of food but some are of actual sights too. We also when to Chichen Itza, which is one of the Seven Wonders of the World (I believe). Era TAN maravilloso!

And now for the select photos:

Our first stop after leaving the airport... doesn't it look like a postcard?!

Shrimp quesadillas at Los Pelicanos restaurant!

Kali's chicken fajitas that look sooo good!

Serina's arroz con camarones...YUM

Our first bar that was very close to our place. It's called La Buena Vida. Twas! Especially with the tropical rain

HORCHATA with tacos al pastor.... one of my favorite meals of all time. 

Serina's vegetarian dish. Those are mushrooms not meat! I forget what it was called but it's mushrooms, cheese, and tomatoes on a bed of peppers.

The view every morning from our place

Super cool tree that I saw 

Can you imagine having ruins by this beach? 

Tallest point of the ruins with the beautiful blues in the back

Fish tacos with mango salsa... SO FREAKING GOOD

I really wanted to try a "homelette" but I was too full

Ceviche... super noms!

Serina's pescado en la moda veracruzana

Kali's chile relleno

CHILAQUILES CON HUEVO FRITO! En Coba... 

"Lover's chairs" is what we dubbed these. Again in Coba

Kali and Serina being my models at Chichen Itza

Each column represents a story.... so amazing

I don't think you can get more "ruiny" than this. I really wanted to climb inside but you're definitely  not allowed to.

El Caracol. The only circular structure in all of Chichen Itza.

My last meal on the Yucatan Peninsula. It was some meal that was supposed to be authentic Mayan but for the life of me I cannot remember what it's called! It was very juicy and delicious though.

No comments:

Post a Comment